The unstoppable force meets the immovable object.
After allowing the team to try our butter mochi, we had a round-table discussion about what desserts we ate growing up. Our teammate Biri had then started on a magical tale of the Choco Flan. The lore states that you put the ingredients invertedly "Caramel-Cake-Flan" and they somehow come out stacked in the order "Cake-Caramel-Flan". After checking out a few youtube videos, we ended up wanting to put our childhoods together to make a Chocolate Butter Mochi Flan. We found the necessary ingredients and equipment thanks to the Kahea, Kerry, and Kristie pastry team (Not to be abbreviated by their first initials).
After a few runs, our trials concluded with a soft jiggly flan, a chewy dense butter mochi bottom, and a healthy mess of bitter sweet caramel. The approval from everyone (Including Biri's family 🤙🏽) made us anxious to share with you all.
Edit: We included a buyer's guide since you guys wanted to know the specifics! Links are located below in the ingredients!
Now... On to the Recipe.
|White Granulated Sugar||1/2 - 1 cup|
|Whole Egg or Egg Replacer||3|
|Choco Butter Mochi|
|Manoa Mochi Baking Mix||1 Bag|
|Whole Egg or Egg Replacer||1|
|White Sugar or Brown Sugar||100g|
|Optional (Chocolate Chips)||40|
- Depending on how much caramel you want (For the image we used 1 cup of sugar). Add sugar to a medium sauce pan and heat on medium low.
- Keep stirring with a heat resistant spatula (VERY IMPORTANT!) until sugar had completely melted.
- Once sugar is in it's liquid phase, pour the molten hot (YES, BE VERY CAREFUL!) caramel into the bundt pan.
- Try your very best to coat the inside of the pan by angling, and circling the pan before it hardens (Once again please be very careful!).
- Set pan aside with caramel in the fridge to set.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk until you have a full scramble
- Add condensed milk and continue whisking until homogenous
- Add evaporated milk and whis until everything is brought together
- Set aside and thank Biri's familia for the recipe
Choco Butter Mochi
- Set chocolate chips on the side (Optional as desired) and DO NOT ADD to batter.
- Add all ingredients into bowl except for cocoa powder
- Sift Cocoa Powder into bowl
- Whisk everything together until homogenous
Putting it together
- Preheat oven to 350F or 176C and place a shallow pan filled with water into the oven.
- Grab your bundt pan that has the caramel coating on the sides.
- Pour in the flan mixture directly into bundt pan.
- Follow by pouring in the choco butter mochi batter going around the pan
- Once oven is preheated place your bundt cake pan in the water bath and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven once finished baking, and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Once cake is cooled, place in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Once cake is fully chilled and set, remove from refrigerator
- Place a plate on top of the bundt cake mold and carefully but swiftly flip the pan onto the plate.
- Then give it a tap-tap-taparoo (I hope someone gets the reference) until the the cake falls onto the pan.
- Enjoy and tell us what you think!
- If you notice in the picture how the chocolate chips are at the top. This was actually by accident. Everyone didn't seem to mind, but if you want to avoid this, try Adding the chocolate chips 20 mins mid baking or when the cake is starting to develop.
- If you check our previous recipe for the Vanilla Butter Mochi you could try doing this with the Vanilla one. Personally, I am leaning more towards the vanilla one pairing a little better than the chocolate.
- Skip the chocolate chips all together maybe? 🤔
- If you can't wait for the cake to chill for 4 hours. We found a bowl that was just slightly more shallow than the bundt cake pan and ran it in an ice bath. We rotated the bowl and changed the ice periodically, and got it to be chilled in about 45 minutes.